Monday 19 November 2007

Pork Vinda Who

I love to make curry but I love to eat curry even more. Every mouthful tastes different. They only thing is, when I look at the recipes they seem to entail more stages than the launch of the space shuttle.

I found a recipe for Pork vindaloo yesterday. It has no less than 17 ingredients and about as many steps in the method. This certainly does not suit my life style, especially when I am in the middle of writing grade 7 exams. I actually can not think of an occasion when I would be prepared to do that amount of work for one meal, especially since the pay where I chef is very bad.

When I produced this dish, I "did it my way" (AKA Frank Sinatra). This is the reason I have called it Vinda Who curry, also because when I told my 13 year old we were having Vindaloo for diner, his first comment was - "From who's loo?" (I think toilet humour is an adolescence thing).

Roses's Pork Vinda Who Curry

1 kg Shoulder of pork, well trimmed and cut into pieces
1½ teaspoons ground coriander
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chilli flakes
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3 teaspoons brown sugar (or palm sugar)
100ml dried onion flakes (or one large onion thinly sliced)
2 heaped teaspoons garlic and ginger paste ( mine comes from a bottle)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 big pinch of saffron (this is optional, but I love the colour it gives)
2 tablespoons of buttermilk (you could use heavy cream)
2 cm stick Cinnamon
1 410g tin chopped peeled tomatoes
1 heaped tablespoon garam Marsala (this has a natural thickening agent it it, as well as the spices)
8 baby potatoes (another optional)

Brown the meat on high heat, and then remove from the pot.
Add a little oil and fry the onion until nicely browned, this will go quicker if you use the dried flakes.
Add the garlic and ginger paste. Fry for 1 minute, be careful not to let it burn now.
Put the meat back in the pot.
Add all the spices and fry for 1 more minute, and keep stirring.
Add the tomatoes, the buttermilk, the vinegar and the sugar. Add about 100ml water.
Turn the heat right down to a simmer and let the meat simmer for about 1½ hours. Keep checking on it and add a little water when it starts to get dry. Don't be impatient and drown the meat, otherwise you won't have a nice thick gravy.
Once the meat is tender, stir in about 100ml of water and the Marsala.
Put the potatoes in and cook for a further 20 -30 mins, still on simmer until the potatoes are cooked through.
Check the seasoning, you may need a little more salt.
Serve with plain white rice, and if you really like it, some chopped fresh coriander leaves (I don't because my family hate it).

A very impressive dish, tons of ingredients, but alot easier preparation doing it the "WHO" method. I am sure you will find a more authentic recipe but be prepared for lots more work.

There are many clever people in the world. I have to share with you some comments made by people who actually said these things aloud for others to hear and write down.

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?
Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not
live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever,
then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever,
which is why I would not live forever."
Miss America 1995 from Alabama
Heather Whitestone (and she won??!!)

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's
the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."
Vice President
Al Gore

No comments:

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels