Monday 11 February 2008

Double Espresso Please

When it comes to false advertising, I think that coffee has cornered that market completely. When I smell coffee brewing, or even if you walk into a good coffee shop where you smell the beans roasting it smells like heaven. I have never had a cup of coffee that tastes even half as nice as it smelt.

I don't actually drink much coffee, perhaps only once or twice a week, but one thing I do love is espresso. Brewed in my little kettle, poured into my little green cups, sipped slowly after a really good meal - now that is Homemade Heaven!

On Friday I went to visit good friends, and I brought the dessert- Espresso Ice-Cream with chocolate chips! If I liked espresso before - after having this ice-cream, I can think of nothing better.

Espresso and Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

250ml Full Cream Milk
Heat the milk with the ground espresso until just boiling.

100g Sugar
2 Eggs
450ml Cream
100g Dark Chocolate

Beat the eggs and sugar together in a bowl.
Strain the milk through a coffee filter into the eggs and sugar ( you don't want the coffee grains in your ice-cream).
Pour the mixture back into the pot and heat until it starts to thicken, keep stirring and don't let it boil.
Pour into a jug (at least 1.5l in size), or a big enough bowl.
Let it cool to room temperature.When this custard mix is cool, stir in the cream.
Put this in the fridge for about 12 hours.Make in your ice cream machine as per manufacturers instructions.When your ice cream is set, stir in the finely chopped chocolate.

As an explaination on the ice-cream photo, it was really hot on Friday night and I was talking a lot (not totally unusal for me) and the ice-cream got a little melted before I could get the photo taken. But I can promise you that it tasted so very, very good.

4 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

i so agree~
why is it coffee never really tastes as good as it smells?

Nina Timm said...

My sister won an ice-cream machine in a Food&Home magazine competition last year and gave it to me - she's not into the whole food thing!!!!Guess what I am making....Espresso ice-cream, yummee....

Homemade Heaven said...

With this ice-cream, the taste really does live up to the smell.

Jeanne said...

Mmmm, espresso! I've just been to both Spain and Italy and the quality of the coffee there just floored me! I don't think there is such a thing as a bad espresso there. It was amazing to watch people come into coffee shops, order an espresso which they downed at the bar, and then leave. A whole different culture!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels