Wednesday 19 March 2008

Butter Fish Tikka

I have never bought butter fish before yesterday, but it definitely will not be the last either. After visiting my new favourite fish shop (Fish 4 Africa in Monte Vista), I bought 800g which is enough for 5 portions. I was amazed at how cheap it is, only R20 a kilo! No bones, just beautiful thick fillets of firm white fish.

I decided that it would be perfect for Tikka fish. This is another dish which is very easy to make ahead of time and requires only a few minutes of preparation. You then pop it in the oven for 20 minutes and VoilĂ ! A perfect meal. You can also cook this on the braai (BBQ), which is even more authentic, as this would traditionally be cooked in a tandoori oven.

Don't be put off by the list of ingredients, like all Indian food, the combination of the spices is what makes it so good. It is not a hot spicy dish and is suitable for anyone.

Tikka Fish

500ml Plain Yogurt
1 finely chopped Onion (I minced it)
15ml minced Ginger
10ml Crushed Garlic
2 teaspoons Cumin powder
2 teaspoons Coriander powder
1½ teaspoons Smoked Paprika
1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
2 teaspoon Chilli Powder or flakes
3 teaspoons Garam Masala
1½ tablespoons Lemon Juice (or lime)
Salt

Mix all the ingredients together in marinading bag (Ziploc) or dish.
Cut you fish into portions, mine are about 1½" thick and 2" wide.
Leave to marinade for at least an hour, but up to 4 hours is best.
Pre-heat your oven with the grill element only.
Place a wire rack into a baking sheet (line it with foil to make cleaning up easier) and heat in the oven. The fish must not be cooked on a flat surface, otherwise it will stew. I used my metal cooling rack in a large roasting pan.
Place the fillets on the rack and cook for 20 mins, until fish is cooked through and turning colour.
You should try for the "slightly char grilled" look - see picture.
You don't turn it while cooking.

I serve mine with rice and a tomato curry sauce.


I am off on holiday today for 2 weeks. I hope to catch up with everyone while I am away, but we will have to see what's on offer in ..... If I let you know where I’m going, I won’t be on holiday.

3 comments:

Nina Timm said...

Yum, the fish looks absolutely scrumptious. Well. I'm off to Fish4Africa....
Enjoy your break.

Homemade Heaven said...

Thanks Nina! Fish 4 Africa is the best fish shop in town.

Jeanne said...

Jealous!! I miss butterfish soooo much here in England. That firm texture makes it perfect for so many things - like this conderful recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels