Thursday 22 January 2009

Secrets best not kept....

On Monday, Brownie at Kitchen Diary, better know as Moo, gave us her secret pancake recipe. I was moved that she would share a recipe that is so obviously worth protecting. I've been given people's "secret recipes" before, and when I make it, I know they have changed it or "forgotten" that little secret which makes all the difference - but not MOO!

This got me thinking about other secret recipes which were and are worth keeping. I think since the advent of internet, there are more "secret recipes" than ever! You can find at least 20 different combinations to KFC (when the secret is actually in the MSG) and I found 3 Coco Cola recipes just on Wikipedia - who would have thought it was so easy to make your own Coke?

Back to the pancakes I made last night. I closely followed all the instructions and the tips and what do you know? - I made the perfect pancake! Actually I lie, it was better than perfect - it was heavenly! I have never made a pancake that I have been totally happy with before now. Even Keith, who is very critical regarding food, declared these were the best he had tasted.

I wanted to give these pancakes the honour they deserved and so I made a simple rhubarb compote (just rhubarb, sugar and a squeeze of lemon) to accompaniment them. I rolled the pancakes with cinnamon sugar and served the compote on the side. We just ate with our hands (terribly civilised), dipping the pancakes into the rhubarb. The combination of cinnamon sugar and rhubarb was inspirational, but without those great pancakes it would have been nothing! - Thank you Moo, you are the greatest!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Mmmm, I think it's time I got over my phobia of making pancakes and tried this "secret" recipe :)

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels