Tuesday 30 June 2009

Never Enough Pudding

I have shared before, that as a young bride my cooking skills were best described as basic but enthusiastic. What I lacked in skill, I made up in research and a fearless spirit that I could do anything if I tried hard enough.

I guess it was all the research and experimenting that helped me gain confidence and an ability to prepare meals that no longer leave my family wondering if they could still get Mr Delivery.

One of the first pudding recipes I found, I tried out for my first dinner party (non family). I had never made a pudding before and at that stage we were still addicted to the ready made Wooloworths chocolate pudding. The couple we invited had been married a while and the wife was an accomplished cook, so you can see why I was keen to show my skills (however non- existent they might have been).

I am proud to say that it the pudding was a huge success and as since been served at many a winter dinner party. The rich chocolate sponge with a sweet thick dark sauce never fails to impress. I can not remember were I found this recipe, so I can't give credit - but I will highly recommend it to any novice wanting to impress dinner guests.


Chocolate pudding with Sauce

Batter
250ml Flour
65ml Butter
200ml Sugar
1 egg
15ml Baking Powder
2ml Salt
30ml Cocoa Powder
200ml Milk 2ml Vanilla essence

Sauce
500ml Water
375ml Brown Sugar
30ml Cocoa Powder

First make the sauce
Mix all three ingredients in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved and starts to boil.
Boil for about 5mins and remove from the heat.

Batter
Cream together the butter and the sugar.
Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy.
Add the sifted dry ingredients alternatively with the milk.
Stir in the vanilla essence.
Spoon the batter into a greased glass oven dish (1.5l -2.l dish with a lid)
Pour over the sauce and place into a oven at 180°C for about 40 minutes.
Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.
This is one of those "magic puddings", where the sauce disappears under the sponge.
As the pudding cools, the sauce becomes very thick, so it's best served hot.

I leave you with the sage words of William Blake

" You never know what is enough
unless you know what is more than enough!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm DROOOOOLING!! YUM YUM!! thanks for the awesome recipe! :)

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels