Wednesday 19 August 2009

New Twist Bolognaise

The first meal Keith invited me to have at his home was Spaghetti Bolognaise. He described it as the one meal his house keeper really cooked well. Spaghetti bolognaise has never rocked my boat or lifted my skirt (lol - he wished), but I was rather excited after all the hype involved in his boasting.

I arrived early and was proudly presented with a huge plate of food. It was terrible! Because we had just started dating and I was very young (21 years old) and naive, I ate as much as I could, making all the right noises. It was just like you see on TV when presenters are forced to eat something they obviously hate and still have to smile and compliment the chef, " OOH this is wonderful, but unfortunately it's time to cut to a commercial break (so I can spit this out my mouth)". It was food hell for me.

Since then, I have matured and with the love handles, gravity infected breasts and laugh lines has come the confidence to say "Please don't make me eat that, I'll rather have a glass of water - thank you"!

I still make Spaghetti bolognaise for Keith, using my own recipe but usually make something for myself without the dreaded mince. Last night however, I was not up to making 2 separate meals, so I had some bolognaise and it was great. I changed the recipe yesterday and will say this is a winner for me.


Spaghetti bolognaise for Spaghetti bolognaise haters

500g Steak Mince
2 Large Onions Thinly sliced
1 Large Carrot Grated
1 Chicken Stock Cube
2 Tins chopped peeled tomatoes

60ml Nomu Tomato chili Pesto Stir
60ml Pepperdew Jam (or chili jam if you can't get hold of it)
1 Large hand full of Fresh Oregano
10ml Crushed Black Pepper
Salt
15ml Crushed Garlic

Olive Oil
Water

Fry the onions and carrot in the olive oil until soft.
Add the Mince - break up and brown.
Add all the other ingredients and cook on high for 5 minutes - keep stirring.
Simmer for about 2 hours, adding water when necessary.
Serve with cooked spaghetti.

2 comments:

Daziano said...

Haha 'Spaghetti bolognaise for Spaghetti bolognaise haters'... I love that!!!! ;)

Elle said...

Looks yummy, but a bit 'hot' for my taste. I make something similar, but use zucchini instead of the minced steak. I grind it up with tomatoe sauce in a blender so it has somewhat the same texture, although softer. It also sucks up the herb flavors which means it tastes like it took all day to make, but only took 1/2 hour. Not sure if you don't like minced meat or don't like the texture, but if it is the meat part, I can send you the recipe for the squash version.

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels