There is one super food that is growing in popularity with it's hairy head and face like a monkey - The Coconut. I found some very interesting facts about coconuts, which I am sure will have you all rushing out to stock up.
Here are just a few, which caught my attention...
- The coconut palm is so highly valued by the Pacific Islanders as both a source of food and medicine that it is called "The Tree of Life."
- In traditional medicine around the world coconut is used to treat a wide variety of health problems including the following: abscesses, asthma, baldness, bronchitis, bruises, burns, colds, constipation, cough, dropsy, dysentery, earache, fever, flu, gingivitis, gonorrhoea, irregular or painful menstruation, jaundice, kidney stones, lice, malnutrition, nausea, rash, scabies, scurvy, skin infections, sore throat, swelling, syphilis, toothache, tuberculosis, tumours, typhoid, ulcers, upset stomach, weakness, and wounds.
- Coconut oil has been described as "the healthiest oil on earth."
- One of the reasons why coconut oil is effective in reducing body fat and lowering weight is because it contains fewer calories than any other fat.
Functions as a protective antioxidant. Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature ageing and degenerative disease.
Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.
Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots. Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.
- Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.
I made this very simple coconut and lemon loaf for our Bible Study group yesterday, and everyone loved it, as I am sure you will.
COCONUT and LEMON LOAF
100g Coconut Oil (or Butter)
140g Castor Sugar
2 Large Eggs
140g Coconut (Medium shred if you can find it)
100g Self Raising Flour
5ml Baking Powder (optional if you don't trust your S.R. Flour)
Juice and Zest of 1 large Lemon
50ml Lemon Juice
Cream the Coconut oil (or butter) until fluffy.
Add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix together.
Spoon into your loaf pan and bake at 180°C for about 40mins until cooked through.
Remove loaf from the pan and pour hot syrup over the cake while both are still hot.
Place all the ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat and boil for 2-3 minutes.
Serve in slices once it is cooled.