Wednesday 31 October 2007

Emergency Dessert

Sometimes you just HAVE to have dessert. It hits you just before supper and then you stuck. Now you could always reach for the ice cream, but that can become a little boring when you do it too often. This crumble is so simple and really takes no time to prepare. It served very well last night as my emergency dessert.

There is a small catch, which I suppose you could overcome but it will add time to the preparation. The catch is that everything is done in the food processor. If you don't have a food processor, I have the address for Father Christmas, whom I believe has just opened this year's order book.

Crumble Pie

The Crumble
¼ cup of soft butter
110g Sugar
110g of Flour

Cream the butter and the sugar together.
Add the flour until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. You will have to scrape the sides of the processor down, as the butter and sugar sticks to the sides of the bowl.

The Filling
410g tin Pie Apples or tin Pears (I have used both and they are equally good)
1 desert spoon of marmalade (I used my lemon marmalade)
1 desert spoon of flour

In a small bowl mix the fruit, the marmalade and the flour together.

Assembly
Take ½ the crumb mixture and press it into a 8" pie dish, lining the bottom and the sides.
Put the fruit into the dish, and top with the balance of the crumbs.
Bake covered at 180°C for 20mins and then un-covered for another 15 mins until golden brown on top.

Serve with cream, ice-cream or custard.

You could use fresh fruit, but you would need to cook it first and then it would no longer be an emergency dessert, but a well planned meal!!!
A little girl asked her mother for ten cents to give to an old lady in
the park. Her mother was touched by the child's kindness.
"There you are, my dear,but, tell me, isn't the lady
able to work any more?"
"Oh yes," came the reply. "She sells sweets!"

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

I have a similar emergency dessert but I don't even bother with the lower crust - just the fruit and the crumble on top. I also add oats to my crumble - makes it deliciously crunchy and you can kid yourself it's healthy ;-)

Homemade Heaven said...

I wrote yours down off your site, looks lovely. My only problem is my 13 year old son has it in his head he doesn't eat oats!!! Bugger!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels