Thursday 18 October 2007

I Scream You Scream

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM!!!! My mom always used to sing this when we asked for ice cream.

Keith bought me an ice cream machine last week. I have been hinting about it now for a year, and I could always see the questioning look in his eyes, "Why would you want an ice cream machine when you can buy perfectly good ice cream?".

Well I proved to him that the stuff you make is so much better than anything you could possibly buy. You can make it exactly the way you like it. While it isn't a last minute decision dish, things have to be prepared before so they can chill before you can freeze it, the preparation is definitely worth all the effort.

Here is my personal favorite so far -

Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream

100g Sugar
2 Eggs
250ml Milk
450ml of Cream
5ml Butter Mint Essence
2ml Green Food Colouring
40g Good quality Dark Chocolate (I use 70%)

Heat the milk to just before boiling.
Beat the eggs and the sugar together.
Pour the hot milk into the egg and sugar mixture - Stirring all the time.
Pour the mixture back into the pot and heat until it starts to thicken, keep stirring and don't let it boil.
Pour into a jug (at least 1.5l in size), or a big enough bowl.
Let it cool to room temperature.
When this custard mix is cool, stir in the cream, essence and food colouring.
Put this in the fridge for about 12 hours.
Make in your ice cream machine as per manufacturers instructions.
When your ice cream is set, stir in the finely chopped chocolate.
Serve at will and often if you wish to have a happy family.

This ice cream will definitely impress all your guests, when you humbly say "It's only ice cream for dessert" and then have your partner say "Oh Darling, this is not just ice cream, it's the one you made!" At this point you shyly blush and say "No really, it's nothing!"

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Oh my... this looks divine! Mint choc chip has always been one of my favourites. I realyl need to make ice cream, even though I am the last person on the planet (so it would appear!) without an ice cream maker ;-)

Homemade Heaven said...

It is so easy, and really, really good. Little bits of Lindt 70%.... make me want to have a bowl right now.

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels