Thursday 11 October 2007

Spring Rolls In

At last I am able to share all the things I have been doing for the last 2 weeks. I never thought I would miss blogging this much.

Yesterday I was the epitome of a domestic goddess, even if I say so myself.

As you may know I started taking orders for cake baking. I received an order for 4 carrot cakes, delivery today. I am so excited that this is turning into a good little business. Everything is made from scratch so it is rather time consuming, but definitely worth the effort, when people remark on how nice the cakes are.

As if baking 4 cakes in one afternoon was not enough, I decided to try my hand at making spring rolls. This turned out to be hugely successful and while the rolling is time consuming, once you get the hang of it, it goes quite quickly.

Spring Rolls - Rose Style

200g of minced Pork
1 shallot minced
1 garlic clove minced
1 teaspoon soya sauce
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1 carrot grated
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh Parsley
white pepper
Spring Roll Wrappers defrosted

Fry the pork, shallot, garlic clove amd soya sauce gently until cooked. Stir while frying so that the mixture is crumbly. Take off the heat and put the mixture in a small bowl, add all the other ingredients (except the wrappers).

Place this bowl in the freezer for about an hour, it must be very cold before you start filling the wrappers.
And here is how I did it - The photographs were taken by Markwin, who did a very good job!

Place the wrapper on a flat surface and
put a small spoon (about 15ml only)
of mixture in the bottom corner.
Do not be tempted to put too much filling in,
as it will all pop out when you fry it
Wet the top corner and the bottom corner with a little water.

Fold the bottom corner over the mixture

Roll over 1½ times. Roll tightly, but without breaking the wrapper.
Be gentle.

Fold in the left and the right corners.

Now continue to roll until you have a sausage as above.

This is now ready to be fried in hot oil until golden brown.
Serve with sweet chili sauce and soya sauce.

These spring rolls went down a treat as our starter last night. I have 6 uncooked ones left which I have frozen, ready to be cooked as a tasty treat.

You have heard the expression - " Living on love and fresh air", which in human terms is impossible, but in the plant kingdom it seems to be quite possible. Here is a picture of my air plants which hang in the plum tree. They flower once a year for 2 weeks. The rest of the year they look like dead grey grass. It is truly remarkable that something so ordinary and actually quite ugly can produce such beautiful flowers.








2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Those carrot cakes look great - it's my favourite flavour of cake & I even had it for my wedding cake :) Have never made spring rolls but you make it look so simple. Thanks for the photo tutorial!

Homemade Heaven said...

Thanks Jeanne, the spring rolls really are easy and you can change the fillings to suit the occasion.

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels