Tuesday 13 January 2009

Back to Basics

It is so good to be home. I had a fantastic holiday, which I didn't want to end, but now that I have survived my first day back at work, I am not feeling too bad.

I have the New Year enthusiasm, full of plans and things which I will achieve this year. The spirit and the flesh are strong!

I did find my first day back at work rather strange, and while it wasn't that hectic, I still felt cheated that I couldn't take out my book and go sit outside and read - my boss can be so demanding about the time he pays for!

After having 3 weeks of excessive eating, I thought I would fall back into the routine of home cooking with one of the first dishes I taught myself, after I got married. I haven't changed it in all the years because some things just don't need to be "pimped"!


Big Momma Rosa's Bolognese

500g Beef Mince (Not the Extra lean one)
1 Carrot peeled and finely chopped
2 Medium Onions peeled and chopped
1 410g Tin Chopped Peeled Tomato
1 410g Tin Tomato Purée
1 Sachet (or small tin) Tomato Paste
10ml Sugar
10ml Olive Oil
15ml Jenny Morris Herbs De Provence (or Dried Mixed Italian)
20ml Fresh Orignum
2 Garlic Cloves chopped
10ml Crushed Black Pepper

Fry the Onion and carrot until softened and just turning golden.
Add the mince and fry until lightly browned, break up the mince while it is frying.
Add the garlic, the herbs and spices and fry for a 1 minute.
Add the Chopped Peeled Tomato, Tomato Purée, Tomato Paste and the sugar.
Turn the heat down low and leave to simmer for at least 3 hours.
I usually use one of the empty tins filled with water and add a little at a time, as needed.
Just before serving, an optional extra is to tear in some fresh basil leaves.

2 comments:

Kit said...

I'm finding it weird to be back at home and trying to work too. Working from home I can sneak off with a book, but it is harder to get the momentum back too. Once teh kids are back at school it should be easier to be back on the treadmill but I'm not looking ofrward to all that early morning rush!

Jeanne said...

The secret of this sauce is definitely in the simmering. Whenever I make it in a rush I'm always disappointed. Glad to hear yu ar efacing the new year with renewed vigour!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels