My latest quest lead me to A Year in Bread.
I really wanted to be able to make a farm style bread, that was light and fluffy like commercial bread, without the conditioners and additives they use.
I took this recipe and changed it slightly by:-
- adding the juice of half a lemon to the warmed milk, in order to sour it. I read somewhere that this improves the flavour and texture.
- I also halved the recipe, but kept the oil quantity at 2 Tablespoons.
- I used the dough cycle on my bread machine and then baked it in the oven. It makes 1, 900g loaf and 4 hamburger size rolls.
- I also baked them on my pizza stone, this definitely improved the heat distribution.
- After it was finished baking, I used a tip my Mother gave me, and brushed the top with a little oil (or you can use butter).
I would really encourage you to try making your own bread, it really is so easy and the difference in taste is so amazing, you'll never look back.
I offer you... The Perfect Loaf