Wednesday 24 June 2009

A Girl in a Canyon - Part 7


Waking up on the last morning in the Canyon was best described as "bitter sweet". Before this I had never really appreciated what that expression meant, but now I do.

It is sweet because you know you have achieved something you never thought possible and bitter because you know that life is supposed to return to normal - with all the expectations and complications.

Cellphones, TV's and computers will once again become part of my life, and no matter how hard I try, I still have to accept them as part of my life. I have to find out about plane crashes and children raped and murdered by their uncles. I have to be at certain places at certain times, listen to people I have no interest in.

So it's with a heavy heart I packed my bag one last time.

The last day was an anti-climax. It only lasted about 3 hours and the last hour you are very aware of civilization as you walk along a water pipeline.

Much of the way we spent talking about cold beers and cheese burgers. But while we were excited to finish, we all had a feeling of - "What now?".

How do we explain the beauty? We were all different people to what we had been just 6 short days ago. I was scared that I would not be able to express myself to people, to show them just how wonderful the absence of civilization is!

Instant gratification is not how life is supposed to be. You supposed to work for things, you supposed to stop and rest, you supposed to listen to silence. It's not about finding yourself - it's about loosing yourself. Just being happy that you have lived another day, not made another million!

I realize that this all seems very "airy fairy" - and until you have gone to places that are totally out of your comfort zone, you'll keep thinking that. It's actually so on the ground and real - there is nothing mystical about it at all.


I end with a quote from Bill Bryson:

“. . . I happened upon a path that vanished into a wood on the edge of town.”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pre-claimer of this being long winded is definately not true... I enjoyed this very much, although I could not view all the pictures...who knows why?
Anyway, if all goes as hoped, I will be doing the Fish for the fourth time, this year...I do not think that you can really express that peace of being in the canyon... I can only presume it is "like a peace that passes all undestanding" as spoken about in the bible :) This must be a glimpse of what is meant by being in God's presence...

Be blessed...
George

Anonymous said...

[url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/be-happy-beautiful-russian-ladies.html]be happy beautiful russian ladies[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/index25.html]mail order brides amp foreign brides[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/surrey-dating-agencies.html]surrey dating agencies[/url] [url=http://gallery.veafoorea.ru/single-russian-women-in-america.html]single russian women in america[/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://free.hamee.ru/dating-agency-services-online.html]dating agency services online[/url] [url=http://free.hamee.ru/indonesian-mail-order-bride.html]indonesian mail order bride[/url]

Anonymous said...

Рисунки - Разное Иллюстрации - Иллюстрации к сказкам

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels