Wednesday 15 July 2009

Shades of Green

Green is the new black - not the green you wear, but living green. People are building green houses, driving green cars and wearing green clothes. All this is great, except it many cases being green is so expensive it puts you straight in the red!

I try to be green - I no longer run the tap while brushing my teeth, I have a re-usable shopping bag and I never throw away glass bottles or tins.

There is a problem with all these bottles and tins, I now have a cupboard full of them! The glass bottles are not such a big issue, I use them when I made jam or preserves. The tins are a bit more tricky - you only need so many pencil holders, before people start looking at you strangely!

A few months ago I bought bread at a farm stall in Swellendam, the bread was wonderful, but the cutest thing was that it had been baked in old tins! I knew straight away, I have to try this myself.
I call it my TIN TIN Bread

230g Cake Flour
1 Packet Instant Yeast
30ml Soft Dark Brown Sugar
45ml Sunflower Oil
380 - 400ml Milk
100ml Sunflower Seeds
3 Vitamin C tablets (Ascorbic acid)
230mg Wholewheat Flour
130g Nutty Wheat Flour
10ml Salt

I used my bread machine to make the dough.
You can use this method if you do not have a machine.
Wash and dry your old tins - make sure you choose ones without a top lip.
Spray them well with non-stick baking spray.
Once the dough has proved, divide into balls big enough to half fill your tins.
Leave covered in a warm place until they have risen (about ¾ up the side of the tin).
Pre-heat your oven to 200°C.
Brush the top of the bread with egg yolk and bake for about 35 -40mins.

In case you are wondering why I put vitamin C tablets in my bread - it keeps the bread fresher for longer!

1 comment:

Kit said...

Sounds like a great idea - disposable bread tins. Does the bread come out easily enough once it's cooked?

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels