Tuesday 7 July 2009

Tomato Joy

I recently did a blog interview where I was asked what food I did not eat as a child. The answer was very easy, as it is still not a favourite if mine - raw tomatoes. I love them cooked, souped, tinned and especially sun-dried but never raw. I have matured slightly and now I do eat them so long as they are not the main event in a dish.

A real treat for me are marinated sun-dried tomatoes, especially the ones from Ina Paarmen, but they are very pricey and once I have opened a pack there is no stopping me. I decided to try marinade my own, to try save a little. Buying them dried they are really cheap and the marinading is so easy, I don't think Auntie Ina will have much more business from me!


Marinaded Sun Dried Tomatoes

Sun Dried Tomatoes
1 Part Red Wine Vinegar
1 Part Boiling Water
Sugar (to taste)
Fresh Thyme Leaves
Dried Garlic Powder (to taste)
½ Part Olive Oil

Place all the ingredients in a sterilized jar.
Shake to dissolve the sugar.
Allow to stand at room temperature for 12-24 hours (if you can wait that long).
The longer you let it stand the softer the tomatoes become.
I love these on pizza, stir-fried with mushrooms and especially just on their own straight out the jar!

No comments:

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels