Friday 15 July 2011

Making My Way Home - Part 4 of Canyon Diary

 The fourth morning started with the usual routine. By this time we are getting into the hang of waking, packing and getting on the road.

The fourth day of hiking is dry and dusty. While you are always surrounded by the natural beauty of the canyon, like the great big arms of God hugging you on both sides, with the life giving river that you follow, crossing it but leaving it behind.

It's a day that reminded me the it took the Israelites 40 years to walk about 390km from Egypt to the Israel. This day is not so much about the time or the distance (both are great), it's about the lesson.

I had hours of alone time walking on flat hard surfaces, time spent getting my mind around the vastness of creation and my importance in it. 

The never ending river crossings were taking a toll on my feet and my will. I think this was the a make or break day for our spirit's. Stepping in thick mud, being dragged down and then carrying on along a a hard and narrow path - this could be the lyrics to a hymn!
We did walk further than the rest of the groups that were hiking, as it's on this day that all the short cuts started, we had decided not to take them - but would keep going as long as we could.

The best part of the day was the end. We stopped in a spot with a good supply of firewood. We decided to sleep next to the fire, which is wonderful idea when you go to sleep, but sadly the fire only burns when it has a constant source of fuel and when the feeders are sleeping - the heat slowly dwindles away. "I will be there 'til the World stops turning, Baby I will keep this fire burning" - until I fall asleep!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.
Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

1 comment:

Dee said...

what a beautiful post! and what beautiful feet - I'm a foot and hand person - Your photographs inspire one to take the journey.

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels