Friday 6 September 2013

Old Fashioned Pineapple and Coconut Cake

Things are back to great at Homemade Heaven central. I'm so inspired, I have more blog posts lined up than time to put them all out there.

As a celebration for my parents coming to visit, I decided to make a '40's inspired cake I found here. But before you run off to see the original, I have made some changes - more 2013 than 1945!

I was so happy to see the wonderful response to my Butter Chicken,  I re-created another Indian/British delight - Tikka Chicken Marsala. I'll be posting 2 recipes for this, one made by me and another by a fellow prominent South African blogger Cupcakes and Couscous, Teresa Ulyate. It will awaken your creative juices, and challenge you to either make it yourself or have dinner in a flash with the help of cook-in sauce.

But all that next week, now lets eat cake.


Old Fashioned Pineapple and Coconut Cake

1½ cups of white sugar
2 Cups of cake flour
2 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla essence
485g tin of crushed pineapple, undrained

Pre-heat your over to 180ยบC
Blend all the ingredients in a bowl until well mixed.
Grease a 25cm square baking tin.
Pour mixture into the tin and bake for about 40 minutes, until cooked through.
When you remove the cake from the oven pour the icing straight over. I poked a holes into the hot cake to allow the syrup to drain through.

While the cake is baking make the icing.

Icing:
1/2 c. Coconut Oil
½ Cup sugar
1 Cup evaporated milk
1 Cup desiccated coconut
1 tsp. vanilla

In a sauce pan, add the first 3 ingredients and simmer until sugar has melted.
Add the coconut and allow to simmer for another 10-15 minutes until sauce is reduced.

No comments:

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels