Wednesday 12 September 2007

So long farewell, auf weidersehen good-bye

Okay, so perhaps I do have a thing for the Sound of Music! I grew up listening to the record (no not the CD). I also had a part as an extra in the school musical - Sound of Music.

But the goodbye today is to my slow cooker. Last night was the farewell to my trusty friend, who makes the most delicious stews and soups the whole way through winter. He never lets me down, no matter how haphazardly I throw the ingredients in.

My farewell diner was lamb knuckle stew, with dumplings. Rich and meaty, with a hint of spice.

Dumplings are one of the things that takes me straight back to my childhood. Mom used to make them as a special treat with braised lamb. I don't really care if I don't get any meat on my plate, so long as I got my 3 dumplings!!!!

So here is my dumpling recipe (technically it's my Mom's).
This is something that warms your tummy on a cold rainy night.

Dumplings
1 desert spoon of soft Butter
200ml of Flour

10ml of Baking Powder

1 Egg yolk
Salt and Pepper
Enough lukewarm water to blend .
If you want a modern twist, you can add some fresh Herbs too.


Mix the first 5 ingredients (and the herbs if you using) Then add enough water so the spoon slowly falls over, see on the left.
Work out all the flour lumps.



Place spoonfuls of the batter on top of your stew.
Try leaving a small space between each one. Then close the lid tightly and don't open for 10min.


When they are done, it is time to serve. You have these lovely soft clouds floating on your stew. These really don't keep well, so you must only make them just before you are ready to dish up.
My son is now a full convert to these, which means I have to share.


So that is my farewell to my slow-cooker. It will now sit on the top shelf in the kitchen watching me make salads and stir-fries until next year when winter comes knocking on the door again.

I won't write tomorrow, as I have the day off for Roshashana. I will be using the time productively to make something sweet with the box of strawberries I got yesterday from the farm.

No comments:

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels