Friday 14 September 2007

Ole

Having a day off in the middle of the week is something I could get very used to. Getting out of bed late, taking my time over my morning coffee - it was heaven.

After a slow start to my day, I sat with my cook books and started looking for what I would make for diner. I wanted to make something really special, something that looks like you spent hours cooking, but didn't.

My decision didn't take that long. Once I saw the picture, I knew what it was going to be - PAELLA.

After scanning the recipe list I knew this was going to be easy.

My Paella recipe is a combination of things we like and I could easily get my hands on.

A South African's Paella - Enough for 4 People

Olive Oil for frying
1 Spanish Chorizo Sausage - Sliced
1 Large Skinless boneless Chicken Breast - cubed
1 cup of Calamari rings
12 Small prawns
4 Large Prawns
1 Red Pepper - Sliced and seeds removed
12 French Green Beans
1 Large Onion - Finely Chopped
2 Fresh Chilies - Finely Chopped
2 Garlic Cloves - Finely Chopped
1 Big Pinch of Saffron
1 Teaspoon smoked Paprika
1½ cups of Long Grain Rice
3 cups Fish Stock (you can use water or chicken stock)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Use a pan with a lid, big enough to hold all of the ingredients.
Warm your pan with a little Olive oil.
Fry the chorizo and the chicken until the are browned, set aside.
In the same pan fry the onions until golden and soft. (You might have to add a little more oil before this step)
Add the red pepper.
Put the chicken and chorizo back into the pan.
Add the garlic and chili, and fry for 2 mins.
Add the paprika, salt and pepper and the rice and make sure the rice is coated in oil (Add a little more oil if it looks too dry).
Add the Stock and stir everything together.

Put the lid on the pan and place in the oven at 180°C for 15 - 20 mins.

Remove from the oven, add the sea food and the beans and bake for another 8 - 10 mins, until rice has absorbed the liquid and seafood is cooked.

I let it rest for 5 minutes, with the lid on before serving. I served mine with a wedge of lemon.

This is the result.
I wish you all a wonderful weekend. I have a trip to the Old Biscuit Mill planned for Saturday morning, and will show you the pictures on Monday.

I leave you with a very good bumper sticker -
Forbidden fruits create many jams

2 comments:

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Gorgeous paella! I wish those fat shrimp could jump off the screen onto my plate. I like your bumper sticker, too.

Homemade Heaven said...

They were totally deeelish!!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels