Wednesday 26 September 2007

To Good Health

Good health is something we take for granted, just like youth.

My love for cooking is closely followed by my passion for nutrition and fitness.

I thought I would share some of my health tips, which are easy to follow and definitely help. I do not claim to know all the answers, neither am I a super model or anything close to skinny. I only want to share my tips, which have worked for me. My only reference is that I have remained a relatively constant weight for 20 years.

1. Don't eat after diner.
I mostly have my evening meal before 7pm, after which time I don't eat or drink anything other than water. While there are obviously exceptions to this rule, I try to keep them as few as possible.

2. Eat Breakfast
Always have a healthy breakfast.


3. Eat Fruit
I try as much as possible to have at least 3 fruits a day.

4. Drink Water
I don't like water, but I always have a 500ml bottle of water on my desk. I make sure that I always finish at least 2 before I leave work. At home I have another 500ml bottle which I also make sure I finish 2 before going to sleep. This way I always know I have consumed 2 litres of water that day.

5. Get some Exercise
This was and still is the hardest part for me. Four years ago I decided I wanted to get fit. I started running with the under 10 cross country team. I use the word "running" very loosely. I would run 20 metres and then walk, but soon I started to run on my own and within 18 months I completed my first ½ marathon!!

6. Cut back on Sugar
  • 3 teaspoons of sugar contain 48 calories.
  • Cutting out this sugar from your daily diet saves 17,520 calories, per year.
  • 17,520 calories per year is the equivalent of 5 pounds of weight.
Giving it up is not an option to me, but I choose my battles.

I hope that you can try at least one of my top tips and see if it makes any difference to your health and perhaps even your waist line. The biggest thing for me is balance. I can't eat everything I like all the time and hope to be healthy or a reasonable weight. Save on the small things and the big things will take care of themselves.


To end off here is a picture of the most beautiful sister in the world

1 comment:

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :)

Jeena xx

Click Here For Food Recipes

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels