Thursday 22 November 2007

Enough Chocolate

Is it possible to have enough chocolate cake? I have tried this, and I am still not convinced that you can ever go wrong eating chocolate cake.

I have posted a fool proof chocolate cake, but I don't think having two chocolate cake recipes is a bad thing, so I here is the cake I bake most often. So far I have never had a complaint, and that it good enough praise for me.

I am writing this in the same way it was given to me, by a wonderful lady, who is famous for this cake.

My Martha's Chocolate Cake.

Separate 4 large eggs.
Whisk the whites until they come to soft peaks.
Keep the whisk running and . . . .
Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder,
Add 1¼ cup of sugar,
Add the egg yolks and whisk for 1 more minute.
Stop the whisk

Put 1 cup of milk and 200g of soft butter in the microwave for 1 minute.
Sift together 1¾ cups of flour,
2 dessert spoons coco powder (do yourself a favour and buy the expensive one -
Dutch process if you can)
1 dessert spoon of corn flour (cornstarch)
3 teaspoons baking powder

Now alternatively add the milk mixture and the flour mixture to the egg and sugar mixture, stirring well after each addition.

Pour the mixture into 2 prepared cake tins and bake for 35 minutes at 180°C.

If you don't want chocolate, you can simply leave out the cocoa and replace it with 2 dessert spoons of cornflour and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla.

Once it has cooled you can sandwich it together and frost with your favourite topping.
This is a very moist cake, and when you use the Dutch process cocoa it comes out very dark and chocolaty.

And just remember. . .
A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a broken fan belt and a flat tyre!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

... and a recipe of 1000 ingredients starts with no measuring cups and the wrong sort of flour ;-)

Well, it often does in my house anyway!

Recipe looks great and really simple - thanks for sharing!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels