Thursday 12 March 2009

Not that Bad

Well yesterday I had what would be considered a blog melt down - I had a good does of worm eating. That was until last night when I met a couple who, together with their 3 small children are facing eviction from their apartment on Friday.

Now whatever the reasons building up to them not paying their rent for 2 months, some of it just plain stupidity, it brought home to me exactly how self absorbed I can be. I went home last night and thanked God for every good thing which I have, including my housekeeper's menopause!

I still can not face cooking any big meals and salads are still on the menu. This simple steak and butternut salad with a balsamic reduction is both filling and light at the same time.

Warm Steak and Butternut Salad
Qualities vary according to servings

Steak cooked medium rare (or as you like it)
1 Butternut roasted with a little sugar and olive oil and then cooled.
A tossed salad with any ingredients which take your fancy -
My salad included the following :

Onion
Tomato
Avocado
Lettuce
Carrot
Mushrooms
Olives
Cucumber

Place the salad on the plate and top with warm sliced steak and cooled butternut cut into chunks.
Drizzle with the balsamic reduction.

The Balsamic Reduction
½ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
45ml Sugar

Place both ingredients in a small saucepan and heat.
Boil gently until reduced by about ½.

I served this with a onion and garlic focaccia.

I had small piece of pizza dough left in the freezer, which I just defrosted, rolled out to about 1cm and then topped with onion slices, garlic and drizzled with olive oil and baked in a very hot oven for about 10-15 mins.
Drizzle with more olive oil before serving hot.

2 comments:

Nina Timm said...

I am reminded every day just how blessed we are....it helps to let off some steam sometimes!! Fab salad!!!

Cynthia said...

I try to count my blessings daily.

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels