Thursday 16 October 2008

Pizza Perfect

My family love pizza. Given the choice they would have it every night of the week. I know without a doubt, that if I was not around, things like cauliflower and spinach would never be seen in our home.

Everyone has there favourite pizza shop. But given the price of eating out or having take-outs, living off pizza can become a very expensive addiction. This got me working and researching the perfect pizza to make at home.

The experiment was many months in the making but finally I got the perfect crust. We now have pizza often ( though not as often as the boys would like). In the beginning making pizza was a mammoth task, but after a while it has become easier.

This is my recipe for a perfect pizza base, the toppings are only limited to your imagination. I know that there are more traditional recipes out there, but this one works for us. It is a thin base pizza, which is crispy and filled with air pockets.

Pizza Perfect

400g White bread flour
200g Semolina flour
1 Packet Instant Dry Yeast
15ml Salt
50ml Olive oil
5ml Sugar
Warm Water

Place all the dry ingredients into a bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid with the dough hook).
Start the machine and slowly add the oil.
If you are working by hand it will be easier to work on flat surface and make a well in the middle of the flour mix and work the wet ingredients a little at a time.
Add the water, enough to make a firm dough.
Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.
Let the dough rest in a warm place for at least 4 hours.

Once you are ready to start making your pizzas....

Place your pizza stones in the oven when it is still cold.
You do need to pre-heat the pizza stones (I have 2 terracotta tiles).
Heat your oven to maximum. The higher the temperature the better.
Cut the dough into 6 pieces and roll out to the desired thickness. I like mine very thin, but see what works best for you.
Once the oven is ready and you have all your toppings on hand, carefully remove the pizza stone and add your toppings.
Start with a layer of tomato sauce (they come in jars or you can make your own).
Handy tip for mushrooms - leave them for last, otherwise they will make your pizza soggy.
Bake until the base is crispy and the cheese is golden brown.
Enjoy with your favourite movie and coke!
This dough is suitable for freezing for later use.

5 comments:

Nina Timm said...

Oooooo, yes please!!!! I love a thin crust, but mine never seem to be thin enough. Thanks for sharing!

Homemade Heaven said...

So glad you liked it. The semolina helps with the texture too.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

I love pizza so much. It always gives me heatburn. No matter what I put on it. Most likely it's tomato sauce...but nevertheless, I LOVE PIZZA. And your looks good. Too bad I've already had my nightly snack lol

Daziano said...

Your pizza DOES look good!!!!

Jeanne said...

Mmm... thin crust pizzas rock! I really must try my hand at this - practice makes perfect, as you say!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels