Tuesday 18 August 2009

Soft Hot Milk Sponge

I love baking, the only problem I always have to watch my intake of luxury items like cake and chocolate, otherwise I'll be as big as a house before the end of the month. My family like baked goods, but unlike most families I read about, they certainly do not "devour" every cake or cookie before it gets to the cake tin.

I do give lots away, but you can only give so many cakes and cookies to your neighbors and friends before they start wondering "so what's the catch?".

I have so many recipes I am dieing to try, but I have to pace myself to maybe two a month, which means the collection of recipes is far more than the production.

I have had this recipe for months, it was given to me by my Mom from one the ladies in her church. She told me that it was one of the best cakes she had eaten in years - so it has been close to the top of the pile for ages.

I eventually got around to baking it and I will say this one is a definite keeper.



Orange Hot Milk Sponge with Orange Crème Pâtissière

Sift together 2 Cups Flour and a pinch of Salt
Put 100g Butter, 1 Cup of Milk and the grated zest of 1 large orange
in a pot and bring to the boil.
Beat together 1½ cups of Sugar and 4 eggs until light and fluffy.
Add 1 teaspoon Orange extract.
Add the flour mixture to the egg/sugar and mix well.
Add 4 teaspoon of Baking powder and fold in well.
Lastly add the hot milk/butter mix and mix well.

Pour into 2 greased cake tins and bake at 180°C for about 15-20 minutes until done.

I used this recipe for my Crème Pâtissière, were I added the zest of another 2 oranges to the milk while it was heating.

Layer the cake with Crème Pâtissière in the middle and dust the top with icing sugar.

6 comments:

Nina Timm said...

A hot milk sponge is your lightest and most fluffiest cake ever!!! This method is also flop proof and not at all dense and "cakey" if you know what I mean!! The filling is making me drool!!!

Kit said...

I've never tried a hot milk sponge, but I'm going to have to have a go. It has risen beautifully in the picture and that's always a problem with ordinary sponges.

Love your flower decorations.

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm this looks delicious! Try halving or even quartering recipes so you can try more things out but not have so much to eat. =)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! You are so creative! :) Happy I found you out here in blog world:). Let me know if you would like to add one another as followers! Have a great day!

Jeanne said...

That looks phenomenal - I really must try it. Also love the flowers - what are they?

Anonymous said...

Silly question, when adding the flour,does it need to be stirred in by hand,or with the handmixer? Also the hot milk +butter mix, by hand or with the handmixer?

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels