Tuesday 4 August 2009

Sole Mates

We have had the strangest weather this last month. One day we are freezing cold, snow on the mountains, rain lashing down and then we have days like Sunday and you think it's November.

Everyone has some kind of cold or flu - either recovering or catching. Keith is the only person I know who never gets flu sick, just goes to show smoking does not kill you! (Only joking!)


Last week I managed to pick up sole on special, this is a very rare treat for us, as they can be pricey and I can be very cheap when it comes to buying fish!

I prepared them very simply, lightly dusted with flour seasoned with salt and black pepper and fried in olive oil. Before I fried the sole, I fried one thinly sliced lemon until it started to caramelize and then added the fish and the juice of one lemon. Just before it was finished cooking I added some caper berries.

The fried lemon works as a great accompaniment to the fish, not only does it taste great, it looks good too.

4 comments:

Elle said...

Hope you don't have the flu...no fun at all. Grandma L says that alcohol consumption keeps one from having colds and flu...but that is a bit like the smoking excuse :)
The sole looks wonderful. Never thought of frying the lemon, but it really does look great and is surely delicious, too.

Homemade Heaven said...

Elle - this is the first time I have fried lemon, it really works well with the fish!

Marisa said...

What a great idea to fry the lemon! I 'm sure it tastes great. Will definitely keep that in mind when I make fish agan.

Marisa said...

What a great idea to fry the lemon! I 'm sure it tastes great. Will definitely keep that in mind when I make fish agan.

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels