Wednesday 16 September 2009

Going Madhatter

People have always been mis-quoted, in life we all get mis-quoted from time to time. Some of the quotes, while accurate, can be totally out of context. Mis-hearing and mis-quoting often happens when people have been married for a while.

When you have lived with someone for a long time, you often finish their sentences in your head or hear what you think they said. These false memories are as real to the hearer, it is as if they were written in ink. Just like your eyes lie to you all the time, your (mine) ears are no different.

One example I have heard many a married couple argue about is when the husband or wife distinctly remembers confirming an appointment weeks in advance. No amount of arguing will ever convince the injured party that they have not said it or that the other didn't hear it -even after they have said "OKAAAAY, you right!".

So, you ask, how does this tie into me making Soda Bread? It doesn't actually, except that when I got home, I could have sworn there was bread in the box - and there was not. I had created a totally false memory of a loaf of bread that was actually two old stale slices!

I am guilty of remembering things that don't happen, and some of these memories are so clear I would go to the gallows for them (well maybe not, but I can whip a a good argument at a moments notice). There is either a HUGE conspiracy to have me institutionalized for dementia, or I am just living in a parallel universe!

After watching that stupid Demi Moore movie Half Night ( Limited release, straight-to-DVD - thank goodness), where thanks to the evil husband's plot, fears that she may be going insane, I have to start to carry around my camera and tape recorder just to check exactly what is going on around me!

I feel a like Alice in Wonderland when she says "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"

But lucky for my blogging friends, I did have my camera ready for this delicious Onion Soda Bread and I have the pictures to prove it. I will admit the recipe did come to me in a dream - so here you have where a dream becomes reality - no arguments please!



Onion Soda Bread

1¼ Cup Plain White Bread flour
¾ Cup Brown Bread Flour
2 teaspoons Bicarbonate of Soda
± 300ml Buttermilk (you have to check as you are adding how much you need)
2 mini Onion Stock Cubes , crushed
1 Teaspoon Salt

Mix all the ingredients together until you have soft dough (enough to hold it's shape, but still sticky).
Pre-heat your oven to 200°C (I used heated my pizza stone)
Place the dough on a baking tray of the pre-heated stone,
Cut the dough ¾ through into quarters.
Sprinkle with a little flour and bake for about 20 -30mins until done - and sounds hollow when you tap it underneath.

Enjoy warm with lots of butter and a bowl of homemade pea soup!


And this one from Alice is a gem - especially for me and those of you that know me :

Oh, how I wish I could shut up like a telescope!
I think I could, if I only knew how to begin.

1 comment:

Marisa said...

I can SO relate! I fear dementia has started early on my side...

On a side note - that bread looks simply delicious - so fluffy and crusty all at the same time.

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels