Wednesday 24 February 2010

oh Madame, Your plums look so good....

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

A Poem by William Carlos Williams


William Carlos Williams (September 17, 1883 – March 4, 1963), also known as WCW, was an American Poet. He was also a pediatrician and general practitioner of medicine.

This is your piece of useless information for the day, keep it for the next diner party when the conversation starts to lag or when you need to impress someone with your extensive literary knowledge.

Under McCarthyism, he would have fallen into the "Red Under every Bed" category and becaus e of his very pro-communism stance, he found himself loosing a consultantship with the Library of Congress in 1952/3, an event that contributed to his being treated for depression - just what every good poet or artist needs to really get ahead of the game.

In May 1963 he was posthumously awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Pictures from Brueghel and Other Poems. The Poetry Society of America continues to honor William Carlos Williams by presenting an annual award in his name for the best book of poetry published by a small, non-profit or university press.

So there you have it - WCW the poet who became most famous after he died. I have to say - the Plums have my vote. Especially in the light of the season we're in - all you need are plums! We have gold ones, green ones, little prune plums (sweet like sugar) and my personal favourite the big fat purple plums.

I bought some on Saturday and turned them into what I consider my best jam ever! It's sweet and tart, all at the same time. Your tongue will go into taste heaven, not knowing where the pleasure is going to hit next.


Plum Jam Royal

1.3KG Plums (some must be under-ripe to ensure you have enough pectin)
700g Sugar
Juice of 2 Lemons (keep one of the lemons you squeezed)

Place the stoned fruit and the sugar in a large bowl and leave in the fridge for 24 hours.
Place the fruit and sugar in a large pot and bring to heat slowly, stirring to dissolve the sugar.

Once the sugar has dissolved, increase the temperature and boil until setting point it reached.
Add the juice and 1 of the squeezed lemons.
I use a thermometer, which must get to +5 above water boiling point (which for me at sea level is 105°C)
Remove the lemons before bottling.
I also use the ice cold saucer test to double check. (Google these tests to see which works for you).
Place in hot sterilized jars, while jam is still hot and seal the lids.
I have never used paraffin, alcohol or wax paper on the top, but you can to ensure preservation.

My best news today is that I will be attending the
CAPE TOWN FOOD BLOGGERS CONFERENCE.
If there are any bloggers out there who would like to
attend the most exciting blogging event

to hit the shores of South Africa,
Do whatever you have to make sure you don't miss out.
This is not going to be just a meet and greet,
we are going to be learning from 2 of the
most successful and incredible South African food bloggers.
Plus you'll get to meet me!

5 comments:

Kit said...

I'm looking forward to the blog coference too! I'll see you there!
Your jam looks wonderful - I haven't made any this year yet, but we have a plum tree that may need jamming any minute.

Kasha said...

Wish I was in South Africa! This plum jam looks amazing! I'm on a freezer jam kick lately. I am going to have to try plums for a change! Have fun at the conference!

Homemade Heaven said...

Kit - Oh great, I am so happy to meet everyone.
Kasha - I have seen entries for freezer jam, I think this needs some investigation.
Plum jam is my favourite and the season is nearly over for all the best fruit.

Jane-Anne said...

I so enjoyed reading this delightful post. Lovely recipe and gorgeous photos: I love plums too! Looking forward to meeting you at the bloggers' conference. x

Jeanne @ CookSister! said...

That's one of my favourite poems - so simple and so lovely. Love the colour of that jam - and can't wait to meet you on Sunday!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels