Tuesday 9 February 2010

Sword Fighting

I have a confession : I love sword fish! However it is on the SASSI orange list and while these species may be legally sold by registered commercial fishers and retailers, an increased demand for these could compromise a sustainable supply.

Consumers are encouraged to consider the implications of this choice, and I did, but I gave into temptation. I even left it in the freezer for a whole month before I couldn't wait any longer.

I did however buy a very small amount and made it into a pasta dish, so that it would be stretched further - it's like showering with a friend to save water!

Please don't hate me for my choice, I do recycle and I have a solar powdered hot water cylinder. I re-use my shopping bags and help the poor, so please can you cut me some slack?


Sword Fish Pasta

500g Sword Fish cut into bite size pieces
Half a lemon
1 Tin chopped Peeled Tomatoes
1 Sachet Tomato Paste
1 Large Onion
2 Anchovy Fillets
1 hand full Fresh Oregano
2 Teaspoons Dried Chilli (Less if you scared)
Sugar or 10 ml Chilli Jam
Salt and Black Pepper to taste

Fry the anchovy fillets until they have dissolved.
Add the onion and fry until soft.
Add the rest of the ingredients, EXCEPT the fish and simmer for at least an hour.
Add water as necessary.
Heat a pan with a little olive oil and once hot fry the fish until browning, but not cooked through.
Add a little lemon juice to the fish and then add fried fish to the sauce.
Simmer for another 3-5 minutes and serve with either spaghetti or tagliatelle pasta.
Garnish with basil.

No comments:

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels