Monday 29 March 2010

Winter Bean Soup

Dear Cape Town


After much debate, Hell would like to thank you for returning its weather.
Have an awesome day now.
Regards
Climate Controller in Hell
I laughed when I received this email, since it came at the end of what seemed to be the hottest 2 weeks I have ever experienced in my life. This was only 3 short weeks ago, and now I'm making bean soup for supper - what happened?
The days are so much shorter, the nights are colder and the sun no longer beats down like it's trying to melt the earth's crust. We've tilted along the axis, so watch out Northern Hemisphere, we sending summer your way!
Saturday we had rain, it was such a wonderful sound, even if it did only last 30 minutes, it was long enough for me to rustle up a comforting bean and lentil soup/stew.
Bean and Lentil Soup Stew
  Tin Tin Soup : I use the tomato tin as my measuring "cup"

1 Tin Chopped Peeled Tomatoes (keep the empty tin to measure out the rest of the ingredients)
1 "Tin" Dry Kidney Beans
1 "Tin" Dry Black Lentils
½ "Tin" Barley
1 Onion peeled and Sliced
1 Large handful Fresh Lemon Thyme (or a dessert spoon dried thyme)
3 Fresh Bay Leaves ( or dry)
1 chopped Green Chilli
2 Litres of Vegetable Stock (You can make this yourself or use a cube or concentrate)
½ Teaspoon ground Black Pepper
½ Teaspoon Ground Cumin

Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook for 6 hours, until everything is soft.
Add water if necessary.
Check the seasoning and adjust to taste. Do not add the salt at the beginning or your beans won't soften.
You can good this on the stove top, just leave it to simmer very slowly - stirring occasionally.
 "Everybody always talks about the weather
but no one ever does anything"

5 comments:

Adele @ WillworkforBiltong said...

I love the end quote!

Doesn't a recipe with a nice name sounds so much nicer? Tintin soup makes me look twice, it's great.

Kit said...

I cooked a bean stew tonight as well, definitely getting autumnal hereabouts! I like your tin measuring system. I didn't know you could use dry beans without pre-soaking them - does that only work in a slow cooker?

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Thank you for sending summer our way ;) It will be a long time before it feels like the sun is melting our crust but at least the days are longer and warmer.

I'm saving your recipe for a cold day - it sounds great!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Thanks for sending summer our way ;) It will be a long time before the sun feels like it's melting the earth here but at least the days are longer and warmer.

I'm saving your recipe for when the cold weather returns - it sounds great!

Jeanne @ CookSister! said...

It worked! Summer has arrived in the UK :) And now, perversely, you make me miss winter with this soup! I took a leftover vegetable potjie last weekend, re-heated it in a pot on the stove, added some chilli flakes, chicken stock and liquidised it - voila, chilli vegetable soup!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels