Friday 25 January 2008

Eezy Peezy Resolutions

I always make New Year resolutions, actually the truth be told I make resolutions all the time -Sunday nights, last days of the month, my birthday, the list just goes on and on.
This year I decided to :
1. Loose weight (which is not going that badly),
2. Start studying (also going well) and
3. Make lots of healthy food which my family will enjoy.

We are having the most wonderful weather in Cape Town at present, with the days heating up to 35 Celsius (95 Fahrenheit) everyday. On days like this, I definitely do not want to be in the kitchen making complicated food, but I still want my family to think I am putting in some effort.

This is how I came to the Shawarma. It is more of an adaptation of the original, but is reasonably healthy (I use wholewheat pita's) and the leftovers go down very well for my packed lunch.

Shawarma

500g Steak (No need to buy an expensive cut like rump)
250ml beef stock (stock cube is fine)
20ml Cornflour dissolved in 100ml of water
10ml mustard (English or Dijon)
10 ml worcheshire sauce
5 ml sugar
salt (this is personal, you might find the worcheshire is enough)

Cut the steak in bite size pieces.
Fry the steak in a hot pan until browned.
Lower the heat to medium and stir in the ingredients.
Cook until you have a nice thick brown gravy, which coats the meat.

I like the extra gravy, but you could make it drier if that is more to you liking.
The Salad - you can use whatever you like in a salad
Lettuce
Onion
Cucumber
Fresh Chili
Tomato (seeds removed, otherwise I find it too soggy)
Cut everything really finely, as you won't fit big pieces into the pita.

Warm the pita's in the oven for 5 mins.
I always serve humus and garlic salad dressing with my shawarma.
To serve, put everything on the table and let the feast begin!
Don't try so hard,
the best things come
when you least expect them to.

No comments:

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels