Tuesday 18 March 2008

Slow food

Slow Food is a non-profit, eco-gastronomic member-supported organization that was founded in 1989 to counteract fast food and fast life, the disappearance of local food traditions and people’s dwindling interest in the food they eat, where it comes from, how it tastes and how our food choices affect the rest of the world.

Now I know it is not always possible to spend 4 hours in the kitchen preparing a meal, but sometimes we need to just slow down and make something special. Serving a meal which took time and effort, really can be rewarding, to you and those who dine with you.

Yesterday I took this time, and the result was both nutritious and comforting.

Braised Beef Rib

1kg Beef Rib ( Ask you butcher to cut them into 3" pieces)
1 Onion
1 carrot

1 Tin tomatoes
2 10cm Sprigs Rosemary
5 10cm Sprigs Thyme
2 whole Fresh Green Chillis
30ml Fresh minced Ginger
2 fresh minced Garlic Cloves

5ml Black Pepper
Salt
Water

Brown the meat, the onions and carrot on high heat.

Put all the other ingredients in together with a ½ cup of water.
Turn the temperature on the lowest (or place it in the oven).
Check on the food occasionally and add a little water if and when necessary.
Slowly cook until the meat is very tender.
At this stage you can add some frozen peas, or fresh beans if you like.
Serve with steamed rice.

It is my anniversary today, and I would like to thank my Keith for the best 13 years of my life. This song tells it exactly how it is for me...
It's always been a mystery to me
how two hearts can come together
and love can last forever.
But now that I have found you,
I believe that a miracle has come,
when God sends the perfect one.
Now gone are all my questions about why and
I've never been so sure of anything in my life.
I wonder what God was thinking when He created you,
I wonder if He knew everything I would need,
because He made all my dreams come true.
When God made you.
He must have been thinking about me.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

13 years!! Congratulations - and your meal sounds fabulous.

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels