Tuesday 10 June 2008

Blue and Butternut

I am a failure! Yes I know that sounds terrible, but it's true. Now don't worry, this is not a "postcard from the edge", just a confession!

But on the bright side I don't fail at everything, just in keeping my promise to get up 2 hours early and go for a run in the freezing wind! I decided yesterday that my health is now "perfect", and that I had no more excuses to stay snuggled under the blankets, instead of hitting the road for a good workout. I failed at the first hurdle. I can't even say it was raining, I actually can only blame my inherent love for my bed.

But, like I said, I don't fail at everything. I am actually a winner in the kitchen (hence the need to get some exercise before my waist line explodes).

My latest triumph is the perfect quiche. With a crust that is crisp, melt in your mouth and oh so wonderfully buttery!

Butternut and Blue Cheese Quiche

The Crust (Food 24)

220 g cake flour

pinch salt
180 g cold butter (must be out the fridge)
1 egg yolk
cold water

Method:
Preheat the oven to 200 ºC (400 ºF).
Sift the cake flour and salt together in a mixing bowl. Grate the butter and add to the cake flour mixture. Rub the butter in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and just enough water to
form a stiff dough. Shape into a ball, cover and chill for at least half an hour. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until it is about 5 mm thick. Reverse the dough on to the rolling pin, and unroll it over a 24 cm pie dish, ensuring that it covers the entire surface of the dish. Press the dough tightly into the bottom of the dish. Do not trim the overlapping dough. Roll the rolling pin across the pie dish to roughly trim the edge. Trim the remaining dough and tidy the edge. Prick the pastry with a fork. Line the pastry with a sheet of wax paper and cover the paper with dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove the waxpaper and beans and bake 7 minutes more. Remove from the oven and pour in the filling of your choice.

Filling

1 medium Butternut peeled and cut into slices.
100g Blue Cheese
4 Eggs
250ml Cream
¾ cup of grated white cheddar
Good grinding of Jenny Morris Lemon Pepper

Roast the butternut with olive oil and a little sugar.
Place the cooked butternut into the cooked pastry shell.
Break the cheese into 1 inch blocks and place evenly around the butternut.
Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl and pour over the butternut.
Bake at 180°C for 25 -30 mins until just set.
Try to take it out when it is still a little soft in the centre, as it will continue to cook. This will prevent it from being too dry when it is served.

You can serve this hot, warm or cold.


Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.

4 comments:

Nina Timm said...

Well done, I just love your new header, photos and writing style. THe quiche looks divine!!!!!

Homemade Heaven said...

Thanks Nina, you inspired me to update and really put something more in!

Jeanne said...

Ah, so that's where the new header comes from! I make a similar butternut, feta and roesmary quiche that's just divine. And it's always 100% worth making your own pastry, so much better that what you buy.

Homemade Heaven said...

Jeanne, I was so happy with the result of the pastry. I couldn't resist, it's one of my best pictures.

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels