Thursday 20 January 2011

Kedgeree and Didgeridoo

I love reading and especially love unusual words. Some words just feel so good in my month - I find myself randomly staying words like didgeridoo, bamboozle, cowabunga, plutz or like yesterday when I couldn't get the word "kedgeree" out of my mind.

 It been blisteringly hot in Cape Town for the last week. I can neither face cooking or eating a big hot meal, after spending the day trying to find cool breezes to offer slight relief.

So back to kedgeree, this was something I enjoyed many Saturday mornings, when Dad would get up early and make the family big breakfast. Although I was never a fan of haddock, somehow kedgeree with the pieces of orange fish and boiled egg nestled in spicy rice always had me asking for seconds.

This is my take on kedgeree, adapted to my family's tastes fussiness.

Kedgeree Didgeridoo
Serves 3 -4 (depending on how hungry they are)

2 Cups Cooked Rice (cooked al dente)
400g Smoked Haddock
4 Boiled Eggs, cut into 8th's (I boil them medium not blue)
1 Large Onion sliced
½ teaspoon Curry powder
1-2 Green Chillies chopped (this is to taste)
Salt and Pepper
1 Tomato peeled, seeds removed and chopped (garnish)
Thyme leaves (garnish)

Poach the haddock in water until just cooked.
Strain and keep the liquid- set aside.
Fry the onion in a little oil until golden, add the curry powder and chilli and fry for 1 minute.
Add the rice and add ½ cup of the poaching liquid.
Allow to simmer for 10 minutes, until rice is properly soft.
Season and if you want to have more sauce, add more poaching liquid.
Add the fish, which you break into pieces and the eggs.
Turn off the heat.
Garnish with tomato and thyme.
I served my warm rather than hot, but it's equally nice hot.

3 comments:

Adele said...

This looks fabulous. Exactly what I have in mind when I think about weekend breakfast. I also like Chutzpah. And croissant, pronounced properly.

cindy said...

I love it, reminds me of the formality of my grandfather's breakfast table.

Marisa said...

I also love funny words. I always giggle when I see shower gels, because they usually have the French "gel douche" on them too. :-)

Your kedgeree looks delicious - would you believe I've never had it?

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels