Tuesday 1 March 2011

Yorkshire Pudding

With the Oscars having taken centre stage in the entertainment news for the last few weeks, I could not help being caught up in the hype surrounding my favourite movie this year "The King's Speech". I watched The King's Speech last Monday, and I am so glad to see that it received the honours it deserved at the 83rd Academy Awards.

All things English will once again become highly fashionable (remember you read it here first) with a Royal Wedding planned for the 29th of April 2011. I remember The Royal Wedding 30 years ago, I even got  a day off school to watch the People's Princess and Big Ears take their vows. We had Lady Di haircuts, Lady Di Shoes - you name it , whatever she did we copied - except the head in the toilet thing and the affair with the horse guy.

So to start the English food triumph, I bring you one delicacy besides breakfast and fish and chips that  England put on the food map - Yorkshire Pudding.

Yorkshire Pudding
Yorkshire Puddings
Makes 10 muffin size portions

1 Cup Sifted Flour
½ Cup Water
½ Cup Milk
2 Extra Large Eggs
½ Teaspoon of Salt
50ml Sunflower Oil

Pre-heat the Oven to 220ÂșC
Divide the oil in the muffin pan, and place in the oven until smoking hot.
Add the sifted flour into a mixing bowl.
Add the water, milk, eggs and salt.
Beat well together until you have no lumps.
Allow mixture to rest of 30 mintues
Once the oil is hot and smoking, pour the batter into the hot oil.
Bake in the oven for 20 mintues until puffed up and golden brown.
Serve immediately with roast beef and gravy.


On the Continent people have good food;
in England people have good table manners.
-Mikes, George

6 comments:

Marisa said...

I think you're right - we're going to see England becoming the hottest thing since sliced bread!

Kit said...

I'm English and I've never yet mastered the perfect Yorkshire pudding... yours looks wonderful! I think I have a problem getting the oven hot enough, which is essential for Yorkshire pudding. The last lot I made was a sad disappointment, stodgy and not crisp, and I haven't tried since.
But I'm glad you're predictng that England is going to be all the rage... I'll have to dig out the sticky toffee pudding recipe and dust it off!

Anonymous said...

Ug!

What on earth is the oil for?

Yorkshire Puddings are made with fat, preferable from the beef that is to be served after the Yorkshire puddings.

Pork is second best, lamb a very poor 3ed.

Colleen said...

YUM!! Yorkshire pud is the way to go with a traditional beef roast. Love it! If Anonymous has such good constructive criticism or advice they should be proud enough to put their name to it. Oil is a bit more heart healthy. I do like to use melted unsalted butter sometimes which changes the flavour a lot. Have a great day xx

Homemade Heaven said...

@ Colleen - I agree with you - oil is healthy than lard and we are very happy with the flavour!
Using butter would be a great flavour addition. Thanks for your CONSTRUCTIVE addition and putting your name to your comments.

Brenda said...

Just made Yorkshire Pudding for the first time. Not too shabby, infact there are none left and I made a double batch. Thank you

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels