Friday 6 May 2011

Swiss Roll

In the modern life of internet and mass information, one phenomenon which has sprung to life are the "World Days". Some of them are for very worthy causes, others are just plain ridiculous.

This month we are celebrating, amongst others,World Red Cross Day, World Press Freedom Day, World Anti-Terrorism and World No Tobacco Day. All wonderfully worthy things to spend sometime remembering.

But then you get, interspersed between these worthy causes, arbitrary days or even weeks which mean nothing, like National Cleavage Day, British Sandwich Week, Be Nice to Nettle Week or Limerick Day.       

Mothers day is one of the most precious celebration days of the year and is celebrated in South Africa on the 2nd Sunday in May.  This is a great day to take sometime to spoil and show appreciation to the woman / women who are our mothers.

I have a wonderful Mother and Mother-in-law . They are everything I wish I could be a Mother. They are kind and patient, they don't judge unfairly, they support me, even when they know that the outcome might not  be as good as I might have expected it to be. But after all the toy throwing and tears, they are the ones with the words of comfort and love which they know will help me get through any trial or temptation.

They respect me as a woman and a mother, gently giving advice, without ever being know-it-alls.I'm supported with the freedom to make the mistakes, which they might have made, but are always understanding when I fail -but  never say "I told you so".
 
 I thank God for these 2 wonderfully beautiful women in my life. I am blessed to have Mothers that love me and are never afraid to show it.

I am sharing a recipe from my Mother's private collection. It is a full of childhood memories of love and spoiling. I hope you will try it and think of your mother when you make it, and that your memories will be as happy as mine.


Swiss Roll

4 Separated Eggs
1 Cup of Castor Sugar
1 Cup of Flour
1 Teaspoon of Baking Powder
1 Pinch of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Essence

Pre-Heat Oven to 180C
Beat the egg whites until soft and fluffy and then add half a cup of the sugar and beat to sift peaks.
In a separate bowl beat the egg yolks and the other half of the sugar until thick and creamy.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt three times.
Gently fold the egg yolks and vanilla into the beaten whites with a metal spoon.
Add the flour to the egg mixture.
Work the mixture gently until mixed through, being careful not to over work and knock out the air.
Grease and line a Swiss-roll baking sheet.
Spread the batter evenly into the baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.
While the cake is baking, lay a clean dry tea towel on a flat surface.
Dust the towel with castor sugar.
Once you remove the cake from the oven, place the hot cake on the dusted dish towel.
Remove the paper and gently roll the cake in the dish towel.
Be very gentle with the hot cake.

You can fill the Swiss Roll with a variety of fillings.
If you use jam, you can spread it while it's still hot and then roll.
If using a cold filling like cream, you will need to wait until the cake is cold, cool rolled in the towel.
I filled this Swiss roll with 1 packet chocolate instant pudding mixed with 250ml of fresh cream.
When filling, always leave a space on the edges to ensure that the filling does not ooze out.
Dust with icing sugar and serve.

2 comments:

Di said...

Lovely post! It brought back memories just reading it!
Of my gran teaching me to make a swiss roll with the home economics recipe.
We had loads of fun. It ended up being quite a masterpiece in my exam because of our fun. ;)

browniegirl said...

Such a beautiful looking swissroll. Not something that I bake very often but you have inspired me..so I'm looking for a sort of justifiable occasion to make one :) xx

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Labels