Monday 13 October 2008

Cheese Muffins

Cape Town is buzzing with the great weather. Spring is here and summer is knocking loudly at the door - I hope I am not going to curse it now and wake up tomorrow to pouring rain.

To celebrate this wonderful weather we started painting my kitchen. I was supposed to help but it turned out, that all I did was sit and clap while by darling husband did everything! He is such a sweet heart!

I did however give him a treat after the work was done and judging by the response it was very well received. I got the idea for these scone/muffin/puffs from Nina last week. I didn't use her recipe, but one that I have used since I was a teenager (which my son refers to as "the old days!").

This is a very easy recipe, and very suitable for new bakers. It great for unexpected guests, as it only takes 2 minutes to make and bakes in a jiffy. You can omit the cheese and add 2 tablespoons of sugar for a sweet version.

Cheese Puffs

2 cups Flour
2 Tablespoons Butter or Marg.
2 Eggs
1 Cup of Cheddar cheese (leave ¼ cup for the topping)
4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Salt
1 Cup Milk

Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Rub the butter into the flour to resemble breadcrumbs.
Add all the rest of the ingredients (no particular order),
BUT only ¾ cup of cheese and stir until combined.
Spoon into a muffin pan and top with the left over cheese.
I used 12 mini muffins and 6 normal.
Bake mini muffins for 10-12 minutes and the large for about 15 -20 minutes.
Serve with cheese, smoked salmon, ham or eat them plain.

9 comments:

Nina Timm said...

My dad always says that a well-oiled machine works best.....if you keep feeding your hubby these delicious treats, I'm sure he will do all the hard labor.

Ps Did you get my email??

Homemade Heaven said...

Yes, your Dad is so right and he should know! Did get your mail have tried calling, your phone seems to be off.

Kit said...

We enjoyed the gorgeous weather yesterday too - it was my youngest's birthday and I baked scones and cheese biscuits as well as the cake ...if I'd combined the two I would have ended up with these I think! must try this recipe - looks great!

Homemade Heaven said...

Kit - These are the days we remember during winter, it's the only way we can get through the rain! Happy birthday to your son. These are really good lunch treats too.

lubnakarim06 said...

Iam drooling over. Did u collect your award in my blog.

anudivya said...

Those looks great, somewhat similar to the Brazilian cheese balls. Oh those are heaven.. but they use a particular type of flour...

Homemade Heaven said...

Kitchen - I didn't see my name, then I checked and I see you put me down as Nafisa! LOL thank you for the award.
Anudivya - Sounds very interesting, going to look it up. I love trying new things.

Anonymous said...

Apart from the food, which is always great, your pics are stunning! Do you take them yourselves or is someone else in the family so gifted?

Jeanne said...

Gorgeous weather - I don't even want to hear about it :( We've hardly seen the sun this week - and the whole of winter is still ahead of us!! Love anything baked and cheesy - I can imagine these would make grat nibbles with drinks...

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels