Thursday 30 October 2008

Fish Friends

I insist on having either fish or seafood at least once a week, more if I can convince the carnivores. They do "like" fish, regrettably not as much as they "love" chops and wors (sausage) but I take my victories where I can get them.

I like to cook new things all the time, I'm constantly reading blogs, buying magazines and cookbooks looking for the perfect meal. I have come close, but I keep thinking there must be something better out there - perhaps I'm wrong, but that's what makes cooking fun for me - the quest.

I bought a fennel bulb on my last trip to the vegetable market. When I got home I had no idea why I bought it, I have a feeling the friendliness of sales lady had more to do with the purchase, than my desire to own it! But there it was, and I had to use it.


Fish night arrived and I had very little inspiration. It was one of those days when I would rather be at the dentist than standing in the kitchen cooking. Excuses aside, supper had to be served and I was the one who had to make it - inspired or not!

So out came the fennel bulb and 4 Gurnard fillets which I had over from my last fishmonger visit.


I thinly sliced the fennel and poured over a dash of olive oil and salt and pepper. I laid the fillets on the fennel with a squeeze of lemon and a generous sprinkling of Jenny Morris Zest Fish Spice.
This went into a hot oven for 15 minutes until the fish was cooked.

The result was very good. I loved the combination of the crunchy fennel with it's aniseed flavour and the soft flesh of the fish. It just goes to show, that not everything in life has to be planned to end up totally fabulous!

My husband sent me my quote for the day...
'The laws of nature are but the mathematical thoughts of God.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds simple and delicious!

Homemade Heaven said...

Maryann - It was, which was exactly what I needed!

Anonymous said...

Firstly, your husband is so right! Wish you'd share those quotes with us!
Secondly, I had no idea you had two little boys, they're gorgeous and thirdly I'm a fennel fanatic and have been struggling to get hold of it.

Please tell me which market it is?

Fourthly I love Gurnard & fennel.

Homemade Heaven said...

Jacoba - The two boys belong to my best friend Carol, she is braver than me! I only have one son who is 14.
I went to the Salt River market, and on Saturdays they also have a stall at The Old Biscuit Mill.

Jeanne said...

Mmm, fennel with seafood is so good! Next time you are stuck for inspiration, try this recipe that I made a while back: http://www.cooksister.com/2007/11/seabass-stuffed.html It's seabass stuffed with fennel and olives, but you could make it with any white fish :)

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels