Friday 24 October 2008

Every one is doing It

I have been reading how everyone is doing it, and how great it is. I've been told "try it, you'll love it" - but I heard that line from a boyfriend once and didn't fall for it then either.

I am sort of brave and believe I should try anything once, except suicide. So when the opportunity came up yesterday, I took the plunge and embraced it!

What is it?

Ostrich Fillet! I bought it, cooked it and ate it.

What did I think?

It was okay, not my new favourite food - at that price, I would rather have beef fillet. I do enjoy ostrich neck though, which I cook in winter. I do agree it is a healthy option, but there are plenty of things that are healthy that I am not found of - like wheatgrass! Having said all that, yes I would probably buy it again.

Here is how I prepared it. I got the idea from the Shape magazine.

500g Ostrich Fillet
½ cup Sweet Chilli Sauce
30ml minced Ginger
Juice of 1 Lemon

Marinade the fillet in the sweet chilli and ginger for about an hour.
Heat a non stick pan, add the fillet and the marinade - cook until done.
I cooked mine medium rare, which took about 7-8 minutes.
Just before it is finished cooking squeeze, over the lemon juice.
Leave to rest for a few minutes before serving.

6 comments:

Nina Timm said...

Sorry girlfriend, I just can't do it!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Eating ostrich meat is a great way to win a game of "I've Never Done That." Good for you trying something new.

Anonymous said...

I love ostrich and by the look of yours, it came out beautifully!

For the best ostrich in Cape Town, do buy your meat at Raith's - I've never looked back. ;)

Thanks again.

Susan @ SGCC said...

Ostrich is not readily available in the markets here, but I've had it a few times in restaurants and really enjoyed it. I love your preparation. It looks great!

Homemade Heaven said...

Nina - I won't do it too often!
Lynn - In South Africa, it's not that unusual to have eaten ostrich!
Just - Thanks for the tip, will try them next time.
Sticky - Here you can buy it every where. The mince and the steak is pricey, but the neck is really cheap. The neck is just like oxtail.

Jeanne said...

I like ostrich, but find it quite a... dense meat - probably because it's all meat and no fat - and can't have too much. Ostrich mince and wors is another story though :) In Cape Town at Aubergine I tasted a friend's ostrich in green Thai curry which was simply one of the best things I'd ever tasted!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels