I have had a make over in my kitchen. It looks identical but the smells coming from the oven have been very different. Bread baking can transform any home into "Country Chic" in a matter of minutes - with out the normal dust and smelly workman!
This white bread recipe has been in my "to do file" for a few weeks now and I finally managed to arrange the time and the ingredients together. The result was very good. It is sweeter than I am used to for bread and reminds me of Kitka in taste (rather than texture).
While it was sitting on the counter cooling, my son walked in and said, " Gee Mommy, it looks just like bread!" and from a teenager that is a huge compliment!
As you know I have the bread bug. I hope it's contagious and that all of you have been infected too. Thanks to Spicy for this wonderful recipe.
White Wonder Bread
- 1 cup water (room temp.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 cup milk powder (not skim)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tsp yeast (I always use instant)
- Add ingredients in order given (this is for a machine, see below for Kitchen Aid / Hand instructions).
- Select dough cycle.
- When done, take out dough and on a floured surface, shape into loaf and place in loaf pan. (Work it as little as possible).
- Let rise in a warm place for approximately 40 minutes until doubled in size.
- Brush the top with a mix of beaten egg and milk and sprinkle sesame seeds. (Optional step)
- Bake on centre rack of preheated 180 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack before slicing.
Here is a little teaser for tomorrow's post - Strawberry Jam (with a little twist), served on Homemade Heaven bread.