Tuesday 7 October 2008

It looks just like Bread

I am amazed at the amount of programs on TV that are dedicated to makeovers. You can have your house made over (read rebuilt) by Ty or your body changed by Gillian. I even saw a guy the other day burning some girls panties on TV, in the quest for her new body image! You get one hour makeovers and people that take their dogs to be "made over".

I have had a make over in my kitchen. It looks identical but the smells coming from the oven have been very different. Bread baking can transform any home into "Country Chic" in a matter of minutes - with out the normal dust and smelly workman!

This white bread recipe has been in my "to do file" for a few weeks now and I finally managed to arrange the time and the ingredients together. The result was very good. It is sweeter than I am used to for bread and reminds me of Kitka in taste (rather than texture).

While it was sitting on the counter cooling, my son walked in and said, " Gee Mommy, it looks just like bread!" and from a teenager that is a huge compliment!

As you know I have the bread bug. I hope it's contagious and that all of you have been infected too. Thanks to Spicy for this wonderful recipe.

White Wonder Bread
  • 1 cup water (room temp.)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup milk powder (not skim)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 tsp yeast (I always use instant)

Directions

  1. Add ingredients in order given (this is for a machine, see below for Kitchen Aid / Hand instructions).
  2. Select dough cycle.
  3. When done, take out dough and on a floured surface, shape into loaf and place in loaf pan. (Work it as little as possible).
  4. Let rise in a warm place for approximately 40 minutes until doubled in size.
  5. Brush the top with a mix of beaten egg and milk and sprinkle sesame seeds. (Optional step)
  6. Bake on centre rack of preheated 180 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
  7. Cool on wire rack before slicing.
Tips because you using kitchen aid (or by hand) add wet ingredients to dry when kneading. It is better to have a sticky dough where you can add more flour than a dry dough as it is difficult to add the moisture back and you will have a dry, crumbly bread. Use instant yeast added to the dry ingredients.

Here is a little teaser for tomorrow's post - Strawberry Jam (with a little twist), served on Homemade Heaven bread.

10 comments:

Kit said...

I agree that the smell of baking bread transforms a house. I am now baking every day to keep us in bread for the duration of the visit to our school - just my standard wholemeal or white breads, nothing fancy.

This really does look like real bread!!

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of bread baking in the house. I love kneading the bread. I love everything about bread! haha :)

Anonymous said...

I love the smell as well, but I love to eat it much much more.

Hate kneading it though.

However, that being said, am going to make this one in the morning. Do you know whether one can get fresh yeast here in Cape Town? If so, where?

:)

Anonymous said...

I love the smell as well, but I love to eat it much much more.

Hate kneading it though.

However, that being said, am going to make this one in the morning. Do you know whether one can get fresh yeast here in Cape Town? If so, where?

:)

Homemade Heaven said...

Just - I have only seen it occasionally at the Spar in Sea Point, in the fridge section. I just use instant yeast.

Homemade Heaven said...

Kit - I am still in awe of bread, all breads are miracles to me.

Homemade Heaven said...

Maryann - I am a little lazy (actually a lot) I use my machine!

Nina Timm said...

....and who took that big bite, may I ask??? The jam and the bread looks scrumptious!!!

My next two weeks are fairly calm...would you like to meet somewhere for coffee?

Homemade Heaven said...

Nina - Very red faced - ME!!!
Would love to meet, will email you with my number and then we can chat.

Nina Timm said...

I left an email on your hotmail address, the other one does not want to go through. Tomorrow is a bit tight. Phone and we'll chat!!!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels