Friday 17 October 2008

Pick up Sticks

You can really make a rod for your back when you experiment making things you always bought. This has become very true for me since I started playing around with bread.

Before a few months ago I used to love shop bought pita breads and naan, but now that I have made my own, I realise that they are horrible compared to the real thing!


This bread stick recipe is no different. Once you have tried them, you definitely won't be buying them any more. Luckily they are so quick and easy, it's actually a pleasure. They made a great snack, and should actually come with a warning for addiction!

I used an Alan Coxon recipe, but instead of chilli powder I used
smoked chilli flakes, a great new product I found at The Main Ingredient in Sea Point.

The Main Ingredient is a must visit for any foodie looking for that one special ingredient you just can't find anywhere else. John and Lynne Ford are passionate about food and wine and the shop's slogan is,"
if you can’t find something, we’ll do our best to get it for you! and, if you’re not in Cape Town, we can send it to you". They have been voted Eat In Guide Outstanding Outlet Award Winner 2006 & 2007.
Chilli Bread Sticks

250g self-raising flour
1 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp smoked Chilli flakes or plain if you can't find smoked
10g instant dried yeast
30ml vegetable oil
125ml warm water
30ml Milk

Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a baking tray.
Sift together the flour, sugar, salt and chilli powder into a mixing bowl.
Stir in the yeast.
Mix together the oil and water and pour into the dry ingredients.
Mix into a soft dough. If it is too stiff add a little more water.
Roll the dough into 12 thin sausages about 12cm long.
Place on the baking tray and allow for spreading. Cover with a cloth and set aside in a warm place for about 30 minutes until doubled in size.
Brush the dough sticks with milk and sprinkle with salt or leave them plain.
Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.

7 comments:

Kit said...

uhOh this sounds dangerous! I know exactly what you mean about a rod for your own back wihtthe bread baking. For the last three or so years I have been baking all our bread and had the same experienice with th pita. I've never tried breadsticks before though. The kids love them, but I usually refuse to buy them as they are ridiculously expensive for what they are and last about two minutes as a snack ... but now I'm going to have to try making them. Maybe they can make them though... they are all capable of this one, I think!

Homemade Heaven said...

This is definitely one they can help with. The rolling out it such fun. As you say, buying them is a real waste. I am planning on playing around with the flavours of these treats too.

PG CakeCraft said...

hi, just visited ur site and enjoyed browsing thru ur posts & recipes. luv breadsticks especially with mushroom soup. yum....

Nina Timm said...

I saw breadsticks once on a picnic with goats cheese and prosciutto. Simply slap a piece of cheese on one and and roll a piece of ham over it. Serve with fresh rocket and chilled wine...mmmm!!!!
I will try this pretty soon. I have not vanish from the earth, my hubby was in a car crash so things are pretty hectic!!!

Anonymous said...

This bread looks incredible!! You're right about the grissini - I am so sick and tired of being offered cardboard covered air sticks at restaurants, I refrain lately.

Anonymous said...

It's me - justfoodnow - don't know what happened there!!!

Jeanne said...

What an easy recipe! The only grissini I've ever made were at a baking class with pizza dough - but then of course that involves kneading and rising and all those thing that intimidate me... Like the fact that this is such a simple recipe!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels