Wednesday 8 October 2008

Strawberry Jam

I love this time of the year. Two of my favourite foods are in full season and I am gorging myself on both! Strawberries and Asparagus are foods from heaven and when they are relatively cheap, like now, it really gets me going!

The only problem is the season does not last for very long. While you can still buy strawberries in December, it's not the same and besides that they have Christmas tax added! So to beat the blues, I stock up and freeze what I can't eat and then I can enjoy my strawberries in jam, pies, smoothies and ice-cream throughout the year.

This easy jam is a great treat for any sweet tooth and it makes just one bottle, which for some families this might prove a problem. It takes only 15 minutes to make, so you can splash out often and treat them with some red gold!

I added some lavender flowers, just for fun and the slight fragrance makes a lovely change.

Strawberry Jam (with Lavender Flowers)

400g Strawberries - washed and hulled
400g Sugar - heat in the microwave for 8 minutes on medium
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 teaspoon Lavender Flowers

Simmer the fruit and the lemon juice for a few minutes until just soft.
Mash the fruit to your preference.
Add the lavender, if using.
Add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
Increase the heat and boil rapidly until setting point is reached - STIRRING ALL THE TIME.

Great served with home made white wonder bread....

6 comments:

Kit said...

I haven't bought any atrawberries yet - up till this year we grew are own and had more than we couild eat - I'd spend days making jam. For the first time we haven't got any this year and it seems too strange to buy them, but I will have to soon - plus we can't survive without a supply of jam either.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much - am feeling a bit down this morning but for some reason your little bit of heaven always cheers me up.

Thanks so much.

PS Your jam looks so nice.

Homemade Heaven said...

Kit - You really know how to make me jealous! Don't delay too long, they are really perfect now.
Just - I am so glad to hear. Your pictures always make me hungry, which for someone on diet that is not good!
The jam is really good!

lubnakarim06 said...

Awesome color. Looks easy and simple to make. Will try this out soon. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Yum. Isn't it great to finally have fresh spring/summer fruit and veg after a long winter watching the Northern hemisphere food blogs post things we can't get! Hehe :)

Homemade Heaven said...

Kitchen - Thanks, it is really super easy. Will make a great gift too.
Tom - I can tell you I am so ready for summer now. I love this time of year - new beginnings!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels