Tuesday 10 February 2009

Flashy Food

Usually when you talk about something flashy, it's over the top. My flashy food was more in the line of "ready in a flash"!

It started out as being a well planned meal, but I think I did too much mental preparation and too little actual work. The next thing I knew, Keith was going to be home in 25 minutes, hungry and all I had was a pack of tenderized steak sitting on the counter! Ooops - where did the time go?

Lucky for me (actually good planning) I have 4 large bunches of spinach growing in my garden, which is a great fall back ingredient in my kitchen. I also had half a punnet of mushrooms, that were rapidly approaching expiry. As I searched deeper into the fridge, I found the spring onions that where supposed to have gone into a salad. This meal was well on it's way to fantastic! Together with the chillies growing in my garden, nothing could stop me now!


Flash Gordon Stir Fry

350 - 500g Tenderized Steak
2 Cups Shredded Spinach or Swiss Chard
½ a punnet Button Mushrooms
1 Green Chilli thinly sliced
30ml Sesame seeds

The Sauce
Pound together the following
Juice of ½ a lime
4 Tablespoons Fish Sauce
2 Garlic Cloves
1" Piece of Ginger
2 Chillies (to taste)
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Tamarind

Rub the sesame seeds into the steak, pushing them into the cuts in the meat.
Slice the meat into bite size strips.
Heat your wok until smoking, and add a little oil.
Flash fry the beef strips in batches, so you get a nice brown crust on them.
Remove from the wok.
Once the meat is all done, add it back to the wok, together with the and spinach mushrooms.
Keep everything moving in the pan, and add the sauce.
Stir fry for a few minutes, you can add a little water if you think it is too dry.
Just before serving, add some finely chopped spring onion (white and green part).
Serve on a bed of buck-wheat noodles.

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

These are my favourite sort of meals - the ones you put together from ingredients lurking in the fridge and you remember "oops - I was meant to make so-and-so with that... a week ago!"

Nina Timm said...

I don't know why I missed this post, but I am glad I found it eventually. This looks like a great meal to me and on top of it all...super-healthy!!!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels