Thursday 5 February 2009

Food in Heaven

I love thinking about what heaven is going to be like. No pain, no suffering, everyone happy and definitely no cats! I also wonder how great the food will be. There is one thing which I know will be on the menu every day - Crème Caramel , well at least in the heaven I'm going to.

When I was very young, my parents used to do the month-end shop on a Friday afternoon. My sister and I were allowed to pick one "treat" for ourselves for an after dinner treat. This was not a decision which you would rush into, it had to be carefully thought out and weighed against what the other was buying - lest you were "out treated"! Nothing is worst than sitting watching what you missed out on.

There was one thing, which I settled on more often than anything else - those little pots of crème caramel with the fluted sides. I would sit for about ½ hour and slowly eat my treat and then as a double treat, I had a cute little cup to play house with the next day!

Now before all of you start thinking, "Shame this girl grew up dirt poor" - we didn't. We had plenty of nice things, but that Friday shopping treat was something that at 5 or 6, I could decide on all by myself and that made me feel like a " very big girl"!

There is a great benefit to growing up, I can buy those little pots of delight when ever I want, but as you can imagine I don't, they no longer thrill me as they did all those years ago. I have moved on to bigger and better things, like making my own crème caramel.

Crème Caramel
Makes enough for 8

450g Sugar
3 Tablespoons Water
6 Eggs
10ml Vanilla Extract
1 Litre Milk (I used 2%)
Water for Baine Marie

Combine 200g of Sugar with water in a saucepan.
Cook over high heat until brown.
Pour the caramel in your mould and spread to cover base.
In a large bowl and add remaining sugar.
Beat until thick and creamy.
Heat the milk until just before the boil.
Pour the hot milk over the eggs, beating all the time.
Leave to rest for a few minutes.
Remove the foam from the surface.
Spoon the egg mixture over the caramel.
Place your water-bath (Bain-marie) in the oven, one which is large enough to fit your mould(s).
Bake in the oven for 30mins at 160°C. It must still be slightly wobbly.
Remove and cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for about 1½ hours.

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

LOL - I remember those little pots of creme caramel - Flanby, wasn't it, by Chambourcy? I was just in love with them as a kid. Your version looks more appealing to my adult eyes though :)

Nina Timm said...

Thank God we all do grow up, but those memories are something special.

Homemade Heaven said...

Jeanne - I was trying to remember the name - you got it right Flanby! The ones in the shop now have too much caramel at the bottom, so they are not as nice.

Nina - I do love being grown up, with just a little bit of kid in my too!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels