Tuesday 3 February 2009

Sword Fighting

When ever I feel like treating myself to excellent service I visit my fishmonger! Yesterday, not only did I feel like being treated like a princess, but I was also craving fish, something gamey with a nice salty sauce!

As I arrived, the sign outside showed I was in the right place - Marlin and Swordfish, both on special and I love specials!

I settled on the swordfish (my favourite), as well as some monkfish for another day.

The sword fish needs very little advance preparation. I simply marinated it for 20 minutes in lemon juice, Jenny Morris Chilli and Lime (you can use plain chilli pepper if this is not available) and a little olive oil.
I then heated my griddle pan until smoking, cooked the one side for about 3 minutes, turned the fish and switched off the heat and then left it for another 4 minutes. It is very important not to over cook fish - you want it soft and juicy. I served it hot on a bed of grilled courgettes.

The green sauce is super easy and very good with fish. The qualities are a little vague, you will need to adjust to your personal taste.

Green Sauce

5-8 Green Olives (pitted)
3-4 Anchovy fillets
15 -20ml Sliced JalapeƱo chillies (the ones that are pickled in a jar)
Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon

Pound all the ingredients together, taste and adjust to your liking.
Serve with fish.

4 comments:

Nina Timm said...

Guess where I am going tomorrow....Fish for Africa.I love swordfish and if it is cheap...I smile all the way!!

Homemade Heaven said...

Nina - We are so lucky to be in the know when it comes to finding the best fish in town - and at prices you can afford!

glamah16 said...

I love the sound of that gteen sauce. Will add a nice touch to the fish.

Jeanne said...

I love swordfish and marlin - I usually would serve them with a fruity salsa, but I love the sound of your piquant relish!

Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water."

It is not your business to succeed, but to do what is right : when you have done so, the rest lies with God.
C.S. Lewis

Search This Blog

South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

The South African Food and Wine Blogger Directory

Foodista

Followers

Blog Archive

Labels