Last week he came home and told me that he had an order for me from someone he had told that I make the most divine chocolate cake, carrot cake and mint-choc chip ice-cream. They promptly placed an order for all three!!!
I have already shown how to make my chocolate cake, so that needs no further explanation, but I would like to share with you what I did do with the "off-cuts" from the cake.
Chocolate Cake and Mousse desserts
Chocolate cake (I used the top piece that I cut off the cake to make it level before frosting)
- 1/2 Tablespoon unflavoured gelatin
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 Tablespoons boiling water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Cocoa
- 1 cup cold whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon chocolate extract
2. Stir together sugar and cocoa in medium bowl; add whipping cream and chocolate extract. Beat on medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bottom of bowl occasionally, until mixture is stiff. Pour in gelatin mixture; beat until well blended.
Use ramekins which have been sprayed with non-stick spray, or line them with plastic wrap.
Place a layer of chocolate cake on the bottom of the dish, do not leave any spaces.
Top with the mousse and then put a lid on with more of your cake.
Cover with plastic wrap and leave to set in the fridge for a few hours. I did this the night before and served it the following day.
I have un-moulded mine and placed it on a pool of cream and then topped with a little more cream and sprinkled some finely chopped orange intense dark chocolate on top.... DELISH!